Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A lesson on life

Tonight while I was making dinner Moses brought up the lessons that he has been taught about Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks. We discussed discrimination and I explained what my dad said to me once before singing to a nursing home for choir in school, "They look out the same eyes that you do." The day I had heard those words I related them with race as much as age. I explained to Moses that although John is black, Elijah is half, and he and Andrew were part Mexican it didn't make anyone better or worse then Hailey or me. I explained to him that you do not ask to be born a certain color. I brought back the experience in high school where I tutored a girl with deformities. A punk kid used to always poke fun at her. One day he decided to call her "stubby" in front of the class and the Irish/Czech came out in me. I said to him, "She didn't ask God to be like this, just as much as you didn't ask God to be so STUPID!" He never once said another word! I explained to the kids the importence of standing up for others as much as you would for yourself.

Then 9/11 was brought up by the kids that were intently listening. I got the opportunity to explain those events to them, feeling like an old timer remembering Pearl Harbor. I explained the roles of the Firefighters, EMS, Police and military. I explained that it was important to take care of others. I also explained the fact of that day feeling like the end of the world.

They all responded differently. Hailey sad she was sad, Moses talked about how he would rescue the world, Elijah contently laughed at the mess of vegetables and chicken smeared on the high chair, and Andrew said, "I'm not gonna be a fireman, cop, or solider. I don't wanna die. That's why I am gonna be a computer programmer!" Haha! Where does that come from in a 7 year old?

On to news of the Mustang- We had the "points " fixed yesterday and got it running again. Today we had a stereo system put in, although I liked the nostalgia of the original radio. We also had the windows tinted w/ a Mustang and Ford symbol applied to the limo tint on the back window. Now we are on to the body work and paint. John has pretty much finished the interior. Too bad we can't get it in Hot August Nights this year! I thought the tint and system was silly, but was actually thrilled with the results! When I can find the charger for the camera I'll take some pictures, until then I'm stuck with car restoration. Or until he gets me my own classic car.... wink wink!

No comments:

Post a Comment