Sunday, February 15, 2009

Never a dull moment

This evening Holly invited me to go pick up dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings for payment of watching her dog over the weekend. She picked me up and we laughed and joked about the recent visit to the local Emergency Room.

Holly initiated her right turn signal to turn onto Highway 92 from Fry Blvd. and I could see an inconsistency in the middle of the road. Cars were pulled off onto the side of the highway, panicked witnesses became sudo traffic control. A woman down on the pavement, lifeless in her pink jogging suit. For a brief second I assessed the situation, noticing small detail. In the chaos I pondered helping, allowing my passion of EMS to flow free once again. My heart and soul aching to help, wishing the adrenaline to run once again through my veins.

However, the woman was being hovered by the first wittiness's that had stumbled upon the scene. They bore blue gloves which assured me they were first responders in some sense. Another woman directed traffic in a military mannerism. We drove off as the lights of the police approached us.

Inside of the restaurant we both quietly thought of the accident. Perhaps it was a mother crossing the street, on her way shopping. We continued the small talk, amongst the young soldiers out partying away the four day weekend. Laughing as we noticed our age in comparison of the "kids" in the room.

As we were leaving we stopped to smoke a cigarette, admiring the flashing lights of emergency vehicles in the intersection. I told Holly more stories of my EMS days which now feel like my youth. In the air we heard a sound like a generator. Listening closer we realized it was the rotor and blades of a helicopter. A sobering sound knowing at this point the seriousness of the call. We watched in silence as the chopper ascended from the intersection that we had just been in minutes ago. Once again I ached to go back to school, and become a member of the EMS club again.

1 comment: